newnavbar

|   SHOP    |    ABOUT    |    CONTACT   |

7.31.2014

SAM PARTY IN THE PARK PART 1

Every year the Seattle Art Museum holds a gigantic fundraiser in the Olympic Sculpture Park called "Party in the Park."  The event is very glamorous and over the top.  They roll out the white tents, set up tables, bars, music all on the top of the hill of the sculpture park.  While you are eating your three course meal and free booze by famous Seattle chefs, you are overlooking the Puget Sound.  Each table is decorated by a local artist or designer inspired by this years's them, "Northwest Modernism."

Cable and I decided to collaborate on the table together because I have been doing a lot of textile work lately, and we thought we could incorporate his painting style in the textiles.  Also, I had a ton of leather scrap I wanted to use too.

Our theme was mountains, trees, and found flora.  I made these leather napkin holders to match Cable's mountain pattern on the tablecloth (more on that later.)  The tablecloth was going to be dyed with indigo, so I dyed the napkins a lighter shade of indigo.

The tablecloth was painted by Cable with a resist, and then we dyed it together.  It took a couple dips in the indigo vat to get the right color.  We had some problems with the resist, but I sort of knew that would happen because I was too impatient to actually find the right kind.  We probably should have used wax, but I am always breaking the rules like that.  I like how varied it is, it was never meant to look perfect.  It has that Batik look to it that we wanted.


We used ferns for the main flower vases that I wrapped in a thick vegetable tanned leather. Unfortunately, I do not have photos of the main centerpieces during the making process.  But, I will reveal the finished product in part 2.

1 comment: